Assertive Tennessee DUI/DWI Attorney Protects Your Rights
Tough criminal defense lawyer fights for your driving privileges in the Chattanooga area
Being convicted of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated can have serious consequences, including loss of your license, higher insurance premiums, heavy fines and jail time. If you were stopped and charged with a DUI/DWI in the Chattanooga area or anywhere in Tennessee, Helton Law Firm PLLC can provide the diligent defense you deserve. I understand that good people can make mistakes and that breathalyzers can give false readings. I have the knowledge and tenacity to challenge the evidence against you and pursue the best possible outcome.
Determined Tennessee advocate challenges drunk driving charges
A law enforcement officer's quest for an arrest or a prosecutor's desire for a conviction should never take priority over your right to fair treatment. At Helton Law Firm PLLC, I may be able to have charges thrown out by demonstrating that an equipment or procedural error resulted in an unfair charge. I will examine whether or not law enforcement followed proper protocol in regard to:
- The stop — Police must be able to demonstrate that they pulled you over based on "reasonable suspicion" that you were acting in violation of the law.
- The sobriety test — There are specific rules that police must follow when administering field sobriety tests, including when measuring blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels.
- The equipment — Breathalyzer machines have provided inaccurate results in the past, and their reliability can be questioned.
- The arrest — For an arrest to be valid, an officer must inform you of your Miranda rights.
- The evidence — Blood samples and other types of evidence must be stored in certain conditions in order to maintain their integrity.
By challenging these procedures, I will strive to get you the respect you deserve and the results you desire.
Knowledgeable counselor provides advice on handling DUI stops
If you are ever pulled over by the police on suspicion of drunk driving, there are several ways you can help yourself:
- Don't be intimidated — If you are nervous, police officers may think that you are hiding something or are intoxicated. Remain calm and be polite.
- Don't allow a search without a warrant — Any evidence police find in your car can be used to support a DUI conviction.
- Take the sobriety test — Refusing to take a test may make an officer more suspicious and lead to an arrest. The results of a test can always be challenged later.
- Get a blood test after release — It’s a good idea to measure your BAC with a blood test after arrest. At trial, your attorney may use that evidence to raise possible defenses.
If you are arrested and charged with impaired driving, contact a DWI attorney immediately. Helton Law Firm PLLC can start working on your defense as soon as you call me for help.
Contact an aggressive Tennessee DUI/DWI defense lawyer
If you have been arrested for DUI or DWI, a strong defense attorney can challenge the charges against you. Call Helton Law Firm PLLC, in Chattanooga, today at 423-551-9619 or contact me online
to set up a free consultation.